|Total Basic Management Units (BMUs) in Province||649|
|BMUs in Public Sector (All RHC, THQ, DHQ, Tertiary Care Hospitals)||536|
|PPM-1 (General Practitioners in Private Public Mix)||1052|
|PPM-2 (BMUs in NGO Model (Pakistan Anti TB association, Al-Khidmat Foundation and others)||55|
|PPM-3 (Private Hospital’s Sector )||27|
|PPM-4 (BMUs in Parastatal Sector (PESSI, Railway) )||31|
|Private Labs in Private Public Mix||149|
Tuberculosis is pandemic and one-third of the world’s population (2 Billion) is infected with TB bacilli. The global prevalence is 16-20 million and incidence is 9.2m (268/100000). Nearly 2 million deaths are caused by TB every year and 12% of deaths in HIV are attributed to TB. It is a contagious disease and one active untreated TB patient can infect 10 to 15 people.
Pakistan ranks 5th amongst the 22 high disease burden countries in the world. It has 44% of total caseload of Eastern Mediterranean Region (EMRO). According to estimates about 4, 96,000 new cases are added each year.
Situation in Punjab
- ¼ of total disease burden of EMRO region is borne by Punjab.
- Total Population of Punjab is 97261831 which 56% of the total population of Pakistan.
- Estimated all type TB cases are 221760 (@ 270 per 100000) and B(+ve) 86590 (@ 144 per 100000)
To reduce the burden of TB in Pakistan by 2015 in line with Stop TB Partnership Strategy to achieve the relevant Millennium Development Goals
STATUS OF SERVICES
In Punjab TB Control Activities were started in year 2000 and network of 559 diagnostic Centre / basic management unit have been established and they have been integrated in the primary (RHC), secondary (DHQ and THQ) and tertiary health care system (teaching hospitals). PPM has been initiated in 32 districts of Punjab with the support of Global Fund. 895 Private Practitioners have been trained under DOTS Strategy through structured modular training and 114 private labs are engaged in Sputum smear microscopy
- Achievement of TB related MDG Targets since Quarter 2 2008
- DOTS Expansion To 36 Districts of The Punjab in public sector
- Capacity building of districts; Training of Doctors, paramedics, Microscopists at BHU, RHC, THQ Hospital, DHQ Hospital and Tertiary care Hospital Level.
- 559 peripheral Labs established at diagnostic center level
- 36 Intermediate Labs at district level
- Two Reference labs established; -Institute of Public Health Lahore
- Nishter Hospital Multan
- Internal and External Quality System established
- Core DOTS
- Childhood TB
- Hospital DOTS Linkages & TB/HIV Co-Infection.
- TB DOTS in Prisons
- Parastatal Organizations: Railways, PESSI,Wapda
- Drug Resistance TB
- Public Private Mix (PPM-1)
- NGO Model (PPM-2)
- Private Hospital’s Sector (PPM-3)
- Parastatal Sector (PESSI, Railway) (PPM-4)